Various Scenes from Sint Maarten
This 2011 definitive depicts the cruise ship dock at
Philipsburg which is Sint Maarten's main city.
The cruise ship dock is located on the east side of
Philipsburg harbour opposite Fort Amsterdam.
Since 2010, Sint Maarten (the southern half of an island shared with the French overseas collectivity of Saint Martin) has been a country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands and it has issued its own stamps. For the 61 years prior to that, it used the stamps of the Netherlands Antilles. Before 1949 it used stamps inscribed Curacao which were used on all the dependent Dutch islands in the Caribbean. The first stamps for Curacao were issued in 1873; the first post office in Philipsburg in Sint Maarten was opened on January 1, 1882. Several pictorial definitive and commemorative issues have depicted scenes from Sint Maarten.
Until 1949 the stamps used in Sint Maarten were inscribed Curacao.
From 1949 until 2010 Sint Maarten used the stamps of the Netherlands
Antilles such as this tourism commemorative issued on July 1, 1957 depicting
a resort and the peninsula on which Fort Amsterdam is located.
This is the west side of Philipsburg harbour opposite the
cruise ship dock. Note Fort Amsterdam on the rocky point
and the resort on the ight side of the photograph.