Cumberland Heritage Village Museum

Architecture


Duford House


The Duford House was built around 1825 by Jean Baptiste Duford. The one and a half storey design was prefered because the tax assessment would be lower than that on a two storey residence. Oral history accounts suggest that at one point fourteen people lived in the house.

The original tin on the roof has since been replaced with singles. Tin roofs were common in the 1920s and 1930s because of their durability and fireproof quality. The log frame construction (similar to that visible in the Spratt house) was covered over with siding in the twentieth century. This same practice, which gives the house a more "civilized" and affluent appearance, can be seen with the Mainville house (the General Store). Horizontal "shiplap" siding was employed on the Duford house while vertical "board and batten" siding was used on the General Store.

The Duford house was moved to the museum in 1977.


Bibliography:

Cumberland Heritage Village Self-guided Architecture Tour. Ottawa: Cumberland Heritage Village Museum, 2015. Print.



Return to the Museum Notebook Home Page.


© Derrick Grose, 2015